Wednesday 29 June 2011

LOVING RELATIONSHIPS

Spending time with loved ones is as good a health booster as a tonic prescribed by a medical practitioner. I have just enjoyed the most wonderful weekend I have been privileged to experience for some time.

Firstly, my son graciously bought a ticket for me to fly to Lanseria, Mid-Rand, to meet my new granddaughter. Secondly, that meant, of course, that I would spend the week-end with my son and daughter-in-law in their lovely home.

Thirdly, my niece and her family, and my nephew and a friend also paid us a visit. My son, Jacques, and his cousin Amanda last saw each other at her wedding, 18 years ago!

Needless to say, my granddaughter is most adorable - and beautiful and perfect in every way - as any grandmother will tell you!

We took many photographs and the happiness radiating from within made these photos wonderful memento's of the time we spent together.

Then I was also able to visit friends whom I had last seen 10 years ago. We were very surprised that none of us had seemingly aged very much, except that Pierre is now growing through his hair!

It was very enjoyable sharing our experiences of the last decade, catching up on the whereabouts of common friends and hearing what the Lord is doing in their lives at present. Visiting with them once again confirmed for me the joy of having friends and relatives whose love and friendship add so much value to my life. Human beings thrive on love and languish without it.

All in all, a wonderful weekend. I was sad when I had to bid everyone a fond farewell and board the flight back to Cape Town.

I also have a friend in Stellenbosch with whom I have shared a wonderful friendship for more than 45 years. It does not matter how often or seldom we see each other - when we do, we pick up where last we left off and are blessed in the knowledge that each is there for the other.

Loving relationships are a blessing and a joy - a gift from the Lord to be appreciated, nurtured and treasured.

            "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you,
            that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you
            have love for one another." John 13: 34-35

            "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who
            loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him." 
            John 14:21

Thank You, Lord, for loved ones and loving relationships. Thank You for this new commandment which encompasses all other commandments. Help us to show our love to one another in practical ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment