Monday 11 July 2011

WHAT IF GOD ALSO EMIGRATED

This morning I had occasion to telephone my house doctor's consulting rooms to ask that he complete a form that my medical aid faxed to his rooms today. I was extremely surprised to learn that the doctor left South Africa on Friday; has, in fact, emigrated to Ireland.

No notice or warning to any of his many regular patients!

Thinking about it after I put the phone down, I had to admit that it was good strategy on his part. None of his patients could seek an alternative medical practitioner before he left, and he kept charging consulting fees, apparently even up to Thursday!

But what if one of his patients had an emergency during the weekend or this morning?

Then I got to thinking that it was indeed a  very good thing that God cannot emigrate anywhere, as He is omnipresent! What if we prayed in a crisis only to have to learn that God is no longer operating in our area, or country?

Of course, He can turn His face away from us anytime, but He is such a magnanimous and gracious God that He only does that when very severely provoked and angered, and even then He hears us when we repent and return to Him.

           "Am I a God near at hand," says the Lord, "and not a God afar off?  Can anyone
           hide himself in secret places, so I shall not see him?" says the Lord; "Do I not fill
           heaven and earth?" says the Lord." Jeremia 23:23.

The very sobering thought, of course, is that every evil thing or sin that is committed is acted out in the presence of Almighty God! Thought for reflection...

Father God, we are so thankful that You are omnipresent. Help us to remember this at all times and to always act in a manner that will  glorify and please You and not displease or hurt You. Please forgive our past trespasses, our wicked and evil ways and thoughts, and our weaknesses that must cause You much sorrow and anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment