Thursday 14 July 2011

FAMILY IN CHRIST

I live by myself and, at times, not often, it can be lonely.

One night, the Lord again proved to me that family does not necessarily mean blood relatives. Let me rephrase that. It does not have to mean 'related by human blood'.

We meet at a cell group every second Wednesday evening. We each contribute something to eat, share it, and then we listen to one of the group sharing something from God's Word with us; we share our heartfelt prayer needs, pray for each other, and finish with a song and a prayer before we return home. I went there one particular Wednesday evening knowing that those sensitive to the Holy Spirit witnessed the emotional and spiritual battle I had been fighting for some months before that. I had, however, also felt myself slowly gaining the victory, one small step at a time and knew that I was making headway. Who knows that our battle is a spiritual one, as a wrestling match, and that it is okay to be wrestling as long as the adversary does not pin us down for a count?

Often times, when Satan attacks and tries to destroy us, he in fact only accomplishes giving us a new testimony!

That particular evening, at the cell meeting, my cell group family invited me to sit in what we jokingly call the "hot chair" in the middle of the circle and they laid hands on me and prayed for me.

I experienced such pure unconditional love; such compassion; such fellowship in Christ.

I was surrounded by my family in Christ; those who are bound to me by the blood of Jesus, our Saviour! Joy surged my heart and soul as the warmth of their love and the love of God suffused me, strengthened me, lifted me up.

           "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." Gal. 6:2

The knowledge of their support and spiritual protection was as the warmth and comfort of an eiderdown on a very cold evening. Peace was my portion.

            "And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and
            minds through Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:7

Are you part of a cell group? A group of fellow believers who care for one another? If not, find out whether there are such groups in your vicinity - or start one! What a blessing for all concerned!

Thank You, Lord, for our family in Christ. Brothers and sisters through the blood of Jesus, our Lord, who will stand by us, protect us, support us in times of need and discomfort. Thank You for the fellowship of the saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment