Sunday 31 July 2011

HOPE HAS WINGS

Is the translated title of a book by Rev. Leon Oosthuizen.

This book was lent to me by a friend and neighbour some 18 months ago.

I felt uplifted and inspired by the reading thereof and phoned the publishers to find out the current address of the author. I wrote a short letter thanking him for his inspired message of hope.

A couple of months later, one Sunday afternoon, I was sitting at a show-house on behalf of a friend, when a lovely vibrant lady walked in to view the house. She emanated energy and an inner beauty. I felt drawn to her as if I had some kind of kinship with her, and it turned out that we shared a name and that she loved arranging and working with flowers, something I also enjoy.

She obviously enjoyed the feel of the house and lingered for some time. We chatted and agreed that my friend would telephone her the next day to make the necessary arrangements for her husband to also view the property.

However, just before time to lock up and go, she returned with her husband. Again, I was aware of an immediate affinity with her husband and after he had viewed the property, and my friend arrived, the two of us had opportunity to converse. It turned out that he was in fact the author of "Hoop het vleuels"!

This man of God has indeed experienced tremendous physical challenges. Challenges that brought immense changes to their lives and circumstances. Changes that would have Job tearing his clothes and covering his head with ashes... Yet, in my spirit I sensed that God was willing and waiting to use even these changes to enlarge the ministry of this man of God to an extent that he may not as yet envisage.

            "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared
             with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

             "For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through
              Christ." 2 Cor. 1:5

Even with the writing of his first book, he had reached many people like myself, who never heard him speak and probably never would have. Who is to say what God intends in the future?

I am reminded of Paul, who being under house arrest in Rome, wrote epistles to the various congregations and churches throughout the then known world, which epistles are still reaching and changing the lives of people around the globe today.

              "For it is fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in
               bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through
               sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all
               of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying:

                        'I will declare Your name to My brethren; in the midst of the assembly I will
                        sing praise to You.'

                And again:

                        'Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.' " Heb. 2:10-13

Thank You, Lord, that even though we may want to choose a different path to bring glory to Your name, You often use our challenges and suffering to bring us to that one quiet place where You can have complete control of our time, our gifts and our attention so that we may be used to Your honour and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment