Friday 29 July 2011

A DIRECT TELEPHONE LINE

One Monday evening as we were closing with prayer after an evangelical outreach information meeting at the onset of the year, my cell phone rang. I had forgotten to switch it off. After prayer I checked and the missed call was from my mother, who at the time was aged 86. She and my stepfather, aged 89 at the time, were still living in their own home, doing all their own housework and gardening.

She was distressed as my stepfather had taken ill, and asked that I go there immediately, which of course, I did.

Arriving at their home, I found him seated next to the kitchen table where they had been having their devotional time after the 7 pm news. My mom said that he became agitated whilst she was praying and when she opened her eyes, he was unconscious. He was in and out of consciousness after I arrived, unable to speak, body stiff as an ironing board, unable to move, and his breathing was laboured and irregular.

I have been in the presence of several people at their demise, and I thought that he was on his way home.

I telephoned for an ambulance, then telephoned the medical aid client service line for authorization for the ambulance, as I was accountable to my stepdad's childen for my actions, after which mom and I laid hands on him and prayed for him. I asked the Lord for an immediate miracle in the name of Jesus.

By the time the ambulance arrived some 45 minutes later, he was conscious, moving his arms and legs and although still very confused, was at least responding to questions. We were able to get him to walk to the ambulance supporting him on both sides, prompting and helping him to move his feet from time to time!

The extent of his recovery during this time was indeed a miracle, especially when his age is taken into account.

A week later he was up and about again, laughing and joking.

God is indeed a good God.

            "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified
             in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."  John 14:13-14

Thank You, Lord, for modern technology which enables us to communicate with one another promptly in crises situations. And thank you also, Lord that we do not need modern technology to communicate with You during a crisis and that You are indeed more prompt in responding than even the ambulance or health services!

No comments:

Post a Comment