Monday 15 August 2011

SEEING WITH AWE AND WONDER

Visiting my son and family to meet Jeneè, I was sitting in the bedroom holding her in my arms and Melissa, her sister, two and a half years old, was with us in the room. Melissa came to me and asked to hold Jeneè, so I told her to take a seat in the armchair Adrie, her mom, uses for breastfeeding and put Jeneè on her lap.

"No, ouma", she said, "not like that. Put her over my shoulder", which I did. She started gently tapping Jeneè on  the back, and said: "Perhaps she has a little wind..."

After a little while I told her we should return Jeneè to her lap as she would be  more comfortable and proceeded to do so.

Melissa then put her little finger, or pinkie, as we say, into Jeneè's mouth and the baby promptly started sucking her little finger.

I wish you could have seen the expression on Melissa's face when that happened! The wonder and awe on her face when Jeneè latched onto her little finger is something I truly will not forget for a long time.

"Look ouma", she said, "she is drinking my milk..." The wonder and innocence of the moment was absolutely stunning to experience.

When last have we looked at the world with such innocence and awe? When last have we contemplated the work of God's hands with such naïvity and wonder? It made me want to weep... what a picture they made... the two innocent babes...

I softly called to my children who were nearby and were able to capture the moment on film to have and look at again and again...

             "At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying: "Who is the greatest in the
             kingdom of heaven?" Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the
             midst of them and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted
             and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
             Therefore whoever humbles himself  as this little child is the greatest in the king-
             dom of heaven." " Matt. 18:1-4

Thank You, Lord, that we can learn so much from innocent little children. Thank You, that you have ordained that we would be their guardians and caregivers so that we may have ample opportunity to see, learn and humble ourselves before You. Help us to not be blind to the lessons that You provide for our benefit every day in our relationships with our children and to set a proper example for them to learn from us in return.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment