Friday 19 August 2011

ARE YOU TRUSTING IN FRIENDS, OR IN GOD

I was in bed with a cold for the past few days. Fortunately, with modern technology, that does not necessarily mean that one is cut off from all friends...SMS's and phone calls brought friends, who also work during the day, right into my bedroom and I again realised how grateful I am to my friends for their constant love and support.

My neighbour across the landing, brought a plate of home cooked dinner - what a blessing! She is a very generous and caring person and I am spoilt by all the unexpected and undeserved meals and delicacies that she provides from time to time.

During this time I had plenty of opportunity to read and meditate on the Word of  God.

Rethinking the passages in Matthew dealing with the arrest of Jesus and his last conversations with His disciples before His arrest, it struck me again that He was totally alone during His trial. Forsaken by all...

We read:

              "Peter answered and said unto Him, 'Though I should die with Thee, yet will I not
                deny Thee'. Likewise also said all the disciples." Matt. 26:35

We all, from time to time receive assurances of love, companionship, friendship and support from family and friends, and the little words "never" and "always" are often used...'I will always love you'; 'I will never let you down', 'I will never leave you'... What is it then that happens that "I" so easily stop loving "you" and start loving someone else - that "I" so easily leave "you" without a second thought - that "you" so easily find yourself wondering what has happened to all "your" friends when you find yourself in a tight spot?

People change... circumstances change... emotions are not stable...words have lost their meaning...such promises are made subject to silent (unspoken) conditions...or expectations...

Even Jesus found that to be true:

                "... then all the disciples forsook Him, and fled." Matt. 26: 56

Same chapter...certainly different picture!

The question is: Who do we rely on when we experience difficulties? People... be it relatives, friends, loved ones? Or God?

Who can you trust to be totally one hundred percent reliable?

Thank You, Lord, for friends. How precious they are. We truly appreciate them. Thank You, for everything they mean to us. Help us, though, to understand that ultimately we have to put our trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment