Thursday 20 October 2011

THORN IN MY FLESH

I work with a lady who seems incapable of having a conversation without it taking a sexual turn, and swearing and using God's name in vain is commonplace in her conversations.

Because she knows how much I hate hearing God's name being used in vain, she consciously, or subconsciously, does it regularly in my presence.

She conveniently forgets that not so long ago, she was lying in hospital in a coma for about three weeks, and we all prayed earnestly and constantly for her health to be returned to her, to at least give her an opportunity to accept the Lord as her Saviour before she is called to appear in His presence.

Of course her language irritates me and of course, she knows and understands that, which is why she admits finding pleasure in taunting me in this manner.

She has become the probervial "thorn in my flesh"!

When my youngest daughter was small and even up to when she was a teenager, we, knowing that she is very ticklish would grab hold of her and tickle her all over. The one place that really caused her to go almost hysterical was under her chin, so of course, that's where we aimed for.

When she could no longer handle it, she would get to a stage where she would go totally limp - "play dead" - is what we used to call it. After that you could do what you liked, she would not even flinch or bat an eyelid.

I am finding that this is the best attitude to have here at the moment and in these circumstances - having asked her time and again to please refrain from using God's name in vain - I will now act as if I don't  notice anything out of the ordinary - not react to her taunts.
              " ... there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to
               torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from
               me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is
               made perfect in weakness."  2 Cor. 12: 7-9

Thank You, Lord, for your grace which is sufficient in all circumstances. Please show me the correct way to reach out to and LOVE this person, who is so obviously also in need of your saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment