Friday 28 October 2011

A MORE INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD

Lately, this has been my desire: a more intimate, radical relationship with God.

So, this is exactly what I have been asking the Lord in prayer: to grant me this more intimate relationship with Him.

I woke up at about 2.30 the other morning, and was wide awake. Gen. 1:1 came to mind:

                 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

I pondored why I should be reminded of this, the very first verse of the Bible... and then the question arose in my mind:

What was before that verse?

The answer that I eventually got to was: God. Only God. In His fullness. In His wisdom. Eternal, Almighty, All-powerful, All-knowing, Indescribable God.

The next question that arose was: What was God? What was and is the essence of God?

And the answer: If He is eternal, and is love now, then He was love at the beginning. His is always the same. His essence has not changed.

Question No. 3: What was His purpose in creating humans?
Question 4: And in His own image and likeness?

And pondoring these questions, letting my mind run through the Word of God from Genesis to the book of Revelation, I realised that all He ever wanted from us, as humans, His creatures, created in His image, was a loving two-way relationship...from the time when He used to visit Adam and Eve in paradise every day in the cool of the evening, through to leading the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, to David's being set apart as king of Israel, his fight with Goliath, ever, ever, ever... to the birth of Christ and His death and resurrection...to the second coming of Christ and the rapture... all to have us, humans, with Him and in a loving relationship with Him...

And in the stillness of the night I realised that this was God's answer to my prayer for a more intimate relationship with Him: His confirmation that it was and is precisely all He ever wanted from me!  This was exciting! Overwhelming! And I felt a surge of such love for Him that He would deign to grant my heart's desire...

Since then I am walking on air as if once again I am young and in love for the first time!

This morning, walking past the printer in our office, my eye caught sight of an A4 page that someone had printed and discarded, noticing that there was mention of a Scripture on it. I picked it up and read the following:

                  " THOUGHTS FOR LIFE October 28

                   For the first time in the age of the universe, the invisible Creator
                   would display His image and likeness in visible form. Genesis 1:26.
                   The mould of brilliance and perfection would be reserved for eternity
                   in the Word that was from the beginning, in spite of Adam's fall.
                   Solomon saw a glimpse of this in Prov. 8:22,"The Lord possessed me
                   at the beginning of His work, the first of His acts of old; ages ago I
                   was set up, at the first before the beginning of  the earth. When there
                   were no depths I was brought forth, when there were no springs
                   abounding  with water. Before the mountains had been shaped,
                   before the hills were I was brought forth, I was daily His delight,
                   rejoicing before Him always."

                   Your original value , the way God knew you before He fashioned
                   you in your mother's womb, is still intact! Through the preaching
                   of the gospel of truth, the magic of that eternal moment is revealed
                   again in the fact of Christ as in a mirror, so that the light of life
                   might dawn in us and we may behold Him face to face, and that we
                   may know ourselves even as we have always been known. 2 Cor.
                   4:2-7, 1 Cor. 13:10-12."

This was from http://www.mirrorword.net/.

I do not know the author or this website but this again, to me, was confirmation of the knowledge I had gleaned during my wakeful spell in the night.

Thank You, Lord, that You desire to have an intimate relationship with us, human beings, created in Your image and likeness. Thank You, that I am included in this, Your heart's desire. Please help me to move ever closer to You in and with all of my being.

No comments:

Post a Comment