Monday 12 September 2011

GOD'S RESTRAINING POWER





Sometimes on news flashes shown on the TV channels  we see another side of God: His awesome power and might!


I am specifically thinking of the news broadcast showing the devastation caused by the earthquake in China and the cyclone in Mianmar (formerly Burma) resulting in the terrible loss of life; in total about 45000 lives known to have been lost. And suddenly we are once again forced to a standstill reflecting on the destructive power of nature.

Yet, who is in charge of nature? Who controls it? Who has the right to control it? The creator, God, of course! And whenever I hear, or see, these terrible tragic, destructive, disasters happening, I have questions...

Who gives me the right to have questions? What power or might do I ascribe to myself that I consider posing questions to the Creator of the universe?

Job 38 and 39 paints a powerful picture of the might and power of Almighty God. Should I not instead bow low before Him, acknowledging his Majesty and Power, His Omnipotence?

I believe God's greatest attribute to be His restraining power! Is there a day which goes by that we do not sin against Him; we do not thwart his Will in our lives; we not rebel against Him; we are not disobedient to His Word; we not disappoint Him; we not act in a loveless manner towards Him and one another as human beings?

Why should He not destroy us instantly in His righteous anger and frustration towards us?
Why should He always be loving, kind, longsuffering and gracious towards us?
Why don't we ask why, in His loving kindness, He lets the sun shine on all mankind everyday?
Why He provides oxygen and rain everyday?
Why He lets the earth bring forth its produce in its season?
Why He does not destroy us all and the earth when there are wars being waged nation against nation, murders, rapes, sexual abuse, robberies, thefts, corruption, drug abuse, deception and whatever other crime every day?
We may agree that we see lots of people living in ways that we know will anger and/or disappoint God! But what about ourselves? Yourself? Myself?
How much time do we spend each day cultivating our relationship with Him; finding out His will for our lives, and knowing His will, submitting to it; loving Him, worshipping Him? King David once prayed words to this effect: "Who am I, Lord God, that You have brought me and my house this far?" 
That our lives have been spared to this date?
That we experience the measure of joy, health, happiness and success that we do?
That His loving-kindness, mercy, provision and grace surround us from day to day?
That He sent His Son to die for us so that we may attain salvation?

I want to repeat after King David: "Who am I, Lord, that You have brought me and mine thus far?

Thank you, Lord God, that you have not yet in your anger destroyed the earth with one fell swoop of your hand. Thank you, Lord God, for exercising your restraining power!


No comments:

Post a Comment